A Basic Introduction on How To Play The Ukulele
|Taught by GiGi Wong-Monaco.
Founder of the Wonderwall's Ukulele Meetup Group
(formerly known as Oak Park Ukulele Meetup Group
aka The Harrison Street Ukulele Players, and
Ukulele Suburbia! The Ukulele Group of Chicago's South Suburbs!;
co-founder of The Sweet Pineapples, all female Hawaiian music group.
Co-owner of Wonderwall Music Shoppe.
GiGi will show you how 'fun and easy' it is to play the Ukulele!
Song sheets and practice excercise sheets provided.
Learn how to properly hold, tune, strumming techniques, 3-chord progressions, and more. Start playing a song by 1st lesson!
PRIVATE UKULELE LESSONS.
Contact GiGi to make arrangements.
$25 per lesson. Approx. 45 minutes.
Age: 8 years old and up.
Group Lessons are 4 week classes.
Meet once-a-week. 1-hour session.
Minimum 5 students. $15 per student.
Students should have their own ukuleles so they can practice at home.
All lessons must be paid in advance.
Location: WONDERWALL Music Shoppe
Vollmer Executive Center
222 Vollmer Rd, Ste AB, Chicago Heights IL 60411.
Phone: 708.754.7026. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|About GiGi Wong-Monaco.
GiGi is 3rd generation Honolulu native, born and raised on O'ahu, 5 generations of her family in Hawai'i. She learned to play the ukulele as a keiki (child) in elementary school like all kids in Hawai'i. Although she played ukulele off and on throughout her life, it is part of her Hawaiian culture upbringing, the 'spirit of aloha' which means 'love and sharing' but it also means 'respect'. In 2013, she became a member of Kuhina Nui Ka'ahumanu Hawaiian Civic Club, Chicago.
Her students have ranged from 8 months-to-82 years old. To date, she has over 150 Ukulele Meetup members leads her weekly Ukulele Meetup sessions Thursday nights Oak Park, and founded Ukulele Suburbia in Chicago Heights, 2013.
Since 2007, GiGi organizes large, ukulele-related events in the Chicagoland area, all for 'the love of ukulele'
2012: 'Chicago's Very Own' WGN TV interview & story on GiGi & her ukulele group, air-date Dec. 19, 2012.
* GiGi forms new ukulele group called: UKULELE SUBURBIA! More info: www.facebook.com/UkuleleSuburbia
* GiGi organizes'Superstorm Sandy Fundraiser' for American Red Cross during weekly ukulele meetups.
2011: GiGi organized "HELP! Japan Fundraiser" for American Red Cross, with guest emcee WXRT Terri Hemmert, featuring her ukulele group.
2010-2011: Performed at Gene Siskel Film Center, Chicago; Blockbuster Beatles Rock Band Release Party; WDCB 90.9 'live' on-air' performance; FitzGerald's Nightclub; more.
2009: January 16 - performed 'live' on CBS2 Chicago 'Early Morning News' in honor of the inauguration of President-elect Barack Obama; GiGi organized the only 'Hawaiian-style' Inauguration Bash in Chicago, featuring her Ukulele group
* GiGi organized the "50th Anniversary of Hawai'i Statehood, 50th State" Celebration" with her Ukulele group and Chicagoland's Heart of Hawai'i Hula Company. Eastgate Cafe, Oak Park.
* 2009 'World Record Attempt For Largest Ukulele Ensemble', organized by GiGi, held at the annual Fest For Beatles Fans. Hyatt Regency O'Hare Hotel. YouTube: CLICK HERE.
* YouTube Instructional video of how to play "Love Me Do". created by a member.
* Participants played along with special guest musicians: Greg Hawkes (The Cars), Earl Slicke (John Lennon guitarist), Mark Hudson (Ringo Starr's producer for 10 yrs., The Hudson Brothers) and Brett Hudson (The Hudson Brothers).
2008: Outgrew Wonderwall space. Moved group's location to Eastgate Cafe'.
* Began Ukulele rehearsals for the annual Beatles convention's 'Battle of the Bands'.
* Set a 'record for most Ukulele players onstage' (28-1/2) at the Fest For Beatles Fans.
* Officially formed Oak Park Meetup Group aka The Harrison Street Ukulele Players.
2007: Began Ukulele playing with others at Wonderwall Music Shoppe & Emporium, Oak Park.
GiGi is an accomplished artist, in art and music. Her professional musical background includes two Chicago music groups that she and her artist-husband, Clar Monaco founded: This Naked Body (90's pop/rock band) and Sandalwood Sitar Music Ensemble (Indian classical/semi-classical music group; 1998-present.)
April 2012: SANDALWOOD Sitar Music Ensemble in pages of NEWSWEEK Special Commemorative Issue of The Beatles - 50 Years of Making Music, page 92 - The Faux Beatles - Tribute Bands from Around The Globe!
Life-long, accomplished artist. Click here for more info.
Married to musician-artist Clar Monaco
Co-founder of Sandalwood Sitar Music Ensemble, she and her husband founded
Mother to one child/son, a Hawai'i Army National Guard vet, completed his 2010 tour-of-duty to Afghanistan.
Grandmother to 2 beautiful girls.